This was a piece I developed during my thinking time at my desk. I’m very happy with how it came out, especially considering the relative sizes of the pen (Micron 02, .25mm) and the paper (4″x4″), which made some of the finer details very challenging. I especially enjoyed applying some use of negative space to incorporate less obvious elements into the work.
I’m pretty pleased with how this came out, which is surprising even to me, as I almost threw it away after about a third of it was done. I wasn’t happy with the way some parts were developing (particularly the eye and checkerboard pattern), but I managed to work through the problems and finish with something satisfactory. I’d have liked to put a little more time into this one, but I have another larger piece I’m preparing for a show, and I need to ensure it’s done in a timely fashion. Perhaps I’ll come back to it at some point in the future.
Update: I forgot to mention that the robot and rocket are a reference to the time I spent at MakerFaire Detroit this year. Man was that fun!