Seeing Eyes

Seeing Eyes. Pilot Precise Rolling Ball pen (extra fine) on Strathmore 400 Series Parchment Paper. 9" x 9"

Seeing Eyes. Pilot Precise Rolling Ball pen (extra fine) on Strathmore 400 Series Parchment Paper. 9″ x 9″

This piece was an experiment in materials, and (as it turns out) in time. When I started several months ago, I wanted to try some new pens, then I decided it’d be interesting to try some new paper as well. Both worked out reasonably well, and I expect I’ll be doing more with the Pilot (the parchment is a little too flexible, and doesn’t work well with my constant rotation of the work as it’s in progress.)

As to time, my work on this one was interrupted in January of this year, when I started knitting Pussyhats for the Pussyhat Project. After several months of fiber in my hands, I was ready to get back to my pens, and I decided to start with finishing this one off. I’m happy with the overall effect; the rhythm of it (for lack of a better word) is pleasing to my eyes, even though there’s no significant amount of realism in the contents.

Interference Pattern

Interference Pattern. Gelly Roll Stardust, Glaze, and Metallic pens on Strathmore Postcard paper. Laser-cut acrylic frame with aluminum anchors. 4

Interference Pattern. Gelly Roll Stardust, Glaze, and Metallic pens on Strathmore Postcard paper. Acrylic frame with aluminum post mounts. 4″x6″


This is one of my older pieces, but it’s still one of my favorites. I’m very pleased with how the color balance came out, and the dark blue curves from the Glaze pen really set off the shapes made with Metallic and Stardust beautifully. It was a lot of work, but well worth the effort.

Strange Waves

Strange Waves. Micron pens on Strathmore 300 Series Bristol Artist Tiles. 6

Strange Waves. Micron pens on Strathmore 300 Series Bristol Artist Tiles. 6″x6″

I’m pretty pleased with how this came out, which is surprising even to me, as I almost threw it away after about a third of it was done. I wasn’t happy with the way some parts were developing (particularly the eye and checkerboard pattern), but I managed to work through the problems and finish with something satisfactory. I’d have liked to put a little more time into this one, but I have another larger piece I’m preparing for a show, and I need to ensure it’s done in a timely fashion. Perhaps I’ll come back to it at some point in the future.

Update: I forgot to mention that the robot and rocket are a reference to the time I spent at MakerFaire Detroit this year. Man was that fun!